Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Signing up for the American Crossbow Federation

I was told by an official of the NCWRC that they are looking into more liberal use of the xbow to help with hunter recruitment and retention. Right now NC only allow it for disabled hunters. I will try to find out more and report.

NC Bowhunters who claim to speak for all bowhunters are against it for all the usual reasons, ie "those xbow hunters will spoil our season".

I recall seeing some sample letters, talking points, etc that others have used to further xbow legislation. Does anyone have a link to those that they could post?
    Every day is a blessing - make the most of it!

There are a bunch of states looking at crossbow season changes. By Joining the ACF, you help those states have a louder voice and get those changes passed. Sign up and be heard!
    Randy Wood
    Director of Customer Experience
    TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

The Spring issue came out. For those of you that have not signed up, it is worth the $20!

Randy Wood

Amen!
    Al K, send a PM or email to DJH (Daniel J.Hendricks) to get info, letters, etc. to help further Xbow legislation.That gentleman eats,sleeps & breathes Xbow advocacy.
    Thanx! to his efforts, along with many Xbow hunters, for the next deer season here in KY., I can hunt with my ProFusion a total of 72 days!----Gnarly

Received my Horizontal Bowhunter magazine a few days back. Lots of good info and stories in there. I have been receiving them for over a year now and can attest to fact that each issue surpasses the previous one. Hats off to DJH for pulling this all together.

Again guys, make sure you sign up for the American Crossbow Federation. They were very helpful with the MI Bill getting passed the House. Dan even spoke at the committee meeting in Lansing. Spend the $20 and get a nice magazine as well as helping your fellow crossbow shooters.
    Randy Wood

Summer issue of Horizontal Bowhunter arrived in mail today. Looks like a lot of good info in there, plus some interesting hunting stories.

TenPoint has several mentions, plus a couple of good advertisements.

Also noticed that someone did a very extensive "Crossbow Arrow Velocity and Energy" study using the Phantom. Appears to be comparing Aluminum VS Carbon and also compares several different broad heads.

Good job Daniel. (loved that photo of you in your youth trying out as an electrician)

RE: Signing up for the American Crossbow Federation

This is the "how's,why's, and who's" of Michigan's defeated crossbow bill, HB5741
    Randy's correct, Michigan failed us AGAIN. I won't get into why I say "again", but suffice to say that I live in Michigan, I ride a Harley, and I'm forced to wear a helmet. That being said, they did manage to lower the medical standards so that more people who need a crossbow permit can attain one. Before I get into this, if ANYONE would like to contact the president of Michigan Bow Hunters,Bruce Levey, or anyone else on the board of governors for the Michigan Bow Hunters, which is the main opposition to crossbow legislation, you can go to their web site(www.michiganbowhunters.com, and click on the "board of governors" and they have ALL of their PHONE NUMBERS LISTED!!!!!!! And that includes BRUCE LEVEY, the president, and the man who is the main voice of crossbow opposition. He has devoted a large amount of time, lies, and misinformation to defeating this bill. If you just happen to call to discuss this matter with him, and voice your opinion, please tell Mr Levey that "Tom says Hello". Maybe if hears this a few thousand times he'll think twice about taking a stand against people's rights for his own agenda. Joining the American Crossbow Federation is a great start, and probably the only sportsmen organization working to legalize crossbows. Anyway, I really thought we would win this fight, which is why I think I took it for granted. I won't make that mistake again. I may be just one person, but I'm a voter, and an Iraqi veteran. I'm also a paraplegic. I was paralyzed in an auto accident after returning from Iraq. I went for years NOT being able to hunt during the archery season because, technically, I could pull a standard bow back. Michigan law used to state that to qualify for a crossbow permit, you must either be paralyzed from the NECK down, which left out any paraplegics, or you must have some issue that prohibits you from being able to draw back a standard bow. It doesn't matter that bow hunting with a standard bow in a wheelchair is about the most impractical way to hunt, and even trying will just end in a futile attempt and then some measure of failure. Well, last year I FINALLY became "disabled enough" to qualify for a crossbow permit. Thank God, I acquired bursitis in my shoulders........YAAAAYYYY!!!!! Wow, it sure is difficult to convey sarcasm in an email...lol. That WAS meant to be sarcastic. I had to become "disabled enough" to finally be allowed to enjoy the same RIGHTS that most everyone else enjoys. That is, in large part, thanks to "The Michigan Bow Hunters." they took the rights to enjoy the Michigan archery deer season away from many people that desperately need a crossbow to enjoy the archery deer season here in Michigan. I personally spoke to the president of the "Michigan Bow Hunters" and immediately he began quoting me laws from 1936, which is where they got their "ammunition" to fight this legislation. The president, Bruce Levey, has been quoting ideas, and figures from 1936 to argue his case against crossbow legalization. I spoke to this man personally, and the first thing he said to me was, "California law states that the crossbow is not an archery device." Well, the last time I checked this WAS NOT California. Also, when was the last time that Michigan allowed ANYTHING California has done or said, to influence our laws, especially when it comes to hunting??? This man knew NOTHING about the current specifications of the new crossbows. In fact, he started talking about the 16" arrows. I'm fairly up to date on most of the production crossbows on the market today and I have not heard of even one that uses 16" arrows. I'm not saying they don't exist but I'm fairly sure they're not many out there, if any. Maybe back in 1936 they used shorter arrows. I'm not sure, but I'm highly upset that this man has deceived the members to achieve his own agenda. He said that there would be 40,000 new hunters in the woods, and that would, in turn, make Michigan reduce the length of the archery deer season. Of course, he had ABSOLUTELY no statistics to back that up, but he wasted no time in throwing those numbers out there. Besides, he also contradicted himself and wasn't even aware of it. Along with his argument about the "40,000 new hunters" theory, he said that, "in Ohio, which is the model used as the example of legalizing crossbows, they have no mom & pop sporting goods stores." I had NO IDEA where this came from, but those two arguments completely contradicted each other. Let's for a minute say that there were suddenly 40,000 new hunters, as he said there would be. These 40,000 hunters would have to purchase 40,000 crossbows, 40,000 aiming devices, 40,000 sets of arrows & broadheads, 40,000 sets of camo clothing, 40,000 licenses, and this is the minimum required to hunt. Now, if you're like me, which I'm sure most of you are, you are not getting out of a sporting goods store buying just the minimum of what you went in there for. In fact, you'll be buying as much as your wife will allow....lol. Since very few of us have a Cabela's in our neighborhood, we have to buy our equipment somewhere. Well, it looks to me, like the mom & pop sporting goods stores stand to make a not so small fortune with these 40,000 new hunters. More proof that Mr Levey is an idiot. He also had no answer to my point that there were MANY bow hunters in the woods that would benefit greatly from using a crossbow. They are out there wounding deer, and killing deer and never recovering them. He did manage to agree that about the only real advantage to crossbows is longer aiming time, and the fact that many people are more used to the way of holding a crossbow, therefore helping these "hunters", and I use that word loosely when talking about these guys, could possibly make a better shot through the vitals, therefore fewer wounded deer, and few deer killed and lost. He did agree that was something that we both wanted.
    I also mentioned that the Paralyzed Veterans of America may be interested in knowing what his stand was on this issue. He proceeded to inform me that they had been working with the Disabled Veterans of America and that he had helped some veterans to get their permits. Well, good for him. Gee, I bet those 15 or 20 people were grateful that Mr Levey took time out of his busy schedule of squashing people's rights to find the time to help them. I just ask what the other few thousand people who either aren't veterans or like me, had never heard of this idiot, and therefore didn't get the help needed to get a crossbow permit, should do. I guess they can be thankful that they "found it in their hearts" to relax the requirements. This brings up another question. If Michigan's laws were inclusive enough, then WHY would anyone even require Mr Levey's "gracious" help. I REALLY hope that this law passes at some point, and I'm sure it will be brought up again, BUT being that they've relaxed the medical issues, the fight won't have the numbers behind it that it did this time unless we can bring in MORE support from able bodied hunters. I sincerely hope that you choose to support this. Even if you may not live in Michigan, I'm sure you have a "Bow Hunters" organization in your state and if they are allowed to deceive hunters here, they can do it in your state as well. That being said, if you help Michigan pass this bill, then it will be easier in your state. I won't quote this because I couldn't verify this information, but I read that Michigan is the biggest archery state. Even if it's not, it HAS to be one of the top states, and if we pass it, it will serve as an example which other states will use as a model, and therefore as a reason to vote "for" or "against." Joining the ACF will help Michigan as well as your state. Also, you can give Mr Levey a call.......he'll love it. Just remember to tell him "Tom said hello" Besides, as long as you are even remotely educated on the issues, and fairly well spoken, you can make him look like the idiot he is. He really knows nothing about crossbows, or the effects of crossbow legalization on the economy, the deer heard, or mom & pop sporting goods stores......lol. Wow, that was the lamest argument I've ever heard against crossbows. Anyway, for those that have taken the time to actually read this "full length novel", DAMN you musta been bored to read through all of my babbling......lol. Thanks, and you may want to join the ACF if you care about crossbow legislation at all.

RE: Signing up for the American Crossbow Federation

Yes I signed up for 2 years because I know they are pushing for PA to open up a xbow season,you can use the xbow in the muzzleloader season now,maybe we will get it passed for the regular season.

Talk about Fast I signed up Monday and I got my 1st issue and membership package today. Thanks DJH!