A Spring Hog Hunt In Texas

The weather has been a little crazy here in Texas the past two days. And I've come to understand it's not so uncommon this time of year as Spring arrives! Just south of Waelder it rained a bit and hailed in a few spots, but missed us for the most part and our two day hog hunt was on and the warm sun was welcome.

BluBlindPasture.jpg

My good friend Ron joined me and we teamed up for a couple interesting night hunts and some good day stalking.

Ron is naturally good with any weapon I've seen him handle and generally his game of preference has wings and quacks. About a year ago I was able to get him interested in xbows with visions of hog hunting. This was his first xbow hunt and he managed to put the biggest pig down this weekend with a nice 30 yard shot on this sow. 110 pounds is not huge by anyone's standards but it's a real nice pig to make into table fare, which is what we were both after. Ya, the bad eye is courtesy of Ron's 45 putting a quick end to this pig's day.

Ron.jpg

This one was bedded down with four others on the backside of a fallen tree/brush pile. It was a short shot from my Storm at about 15' but she was on the run for the woods. The CenterPunch arrow took out a lung and heart and she was down in less than 20 yards. I'll call that shot all skill when I tell the story but it was probably more of that "good luck" and great equipment.....

SowStormCP.jpg

We enjoyed the stay, had good hunts and pretty fair luck. About 300 lbs of quartered pig came home in the coolers so there's sausage, brats, ribs and chops for Ron's family and ours to enjoy.

It's always a blessing to go hunting and even more so to take an animal home. Much to be thankful for!
    2016 Horton Storm, 2017 Horton Vortec - RangeMaster Pro Scope - ACUdraw -
    EVO-X CenterPunch Arrows - Omni-Brite Nocks - Grim Reaper Broadheads

Glad you got out and happier yet that someone has finally posted a hunting story.
    Every day is a blessing - Make the most of it

Congratulations, very nice!
    TenPoint Renegade XLT
    Excalibur Vixen II
    Excalibur Exomax
    Horton Yukon XL

Thanks gentlemen. It was a good hunt and I got to put the EVO-X CenterPunch arrows to the test. And I filled up the freezer with some great pork as well.

Pork!.jpg

Jal_Cdr_Link.jpg
    2016 Horton Storm, 2017 Horton Vortec - RangeMaster Pro Scope - ACUdraw -
    EVO-X CenterPunch Arrows - Omni-Brite Nocks - Grim Reaper Broadheads