New bow------same old question! Best head weight??

I have shot an old Barnett that finally gave up on me after about 25 years. (Probably a blessing in disguise) I decided to go with the WICKED RIDGE INVADER G3. Not sure you can beat that bow for the money spent! Anyway, I have always used 125 grain heads. Mostly Thunderheads and Spitfires. This new bow comes with 3 100 grain practice heads and all the reading I have been doing on the Ten Point site seems to recommend the 100 grain head. If you research some of what other sites on the net suggest. It seems many point you toward a 125 grain head for a crossbow because of the balance point due to the fact a bolt is 20 inches and should have a stiffer spine etc. I don't know, I have lots of 125 grain field points and heads but will gladly go with the 100 grain if it truly does shoot better and more accurately. I do know that, over the years, it seems like 125 grain are kind of like the dinosaur. Getting hard to find compared to 100 grain heads. Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

I shoot mostly 125 in both of my bows FX4,Horton storm. I have shoot some 150and at 20 yds not enough difference to spit about. Personally I like the 125 gr way better than 100. Again just one old man's opinion and like they say everyone has one.

Fish,
    You are correct, the 125 tips are harder to find than they used to be. In most situations, out of today's crossbows, you have more than enough kinetic energy with either one. There is not much of a difference with expandable heads. However, with fixed blades, raising the front of center balance does help, so the 125s tend to behave a little better.
    Randy Wood
    Director of Customer Experience
    TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

So, if I am understanding correctly. If I intend to shoot a fixed blade, like a Thunderhead, I may be slightly better off with the 125's but not necessarily better off with a expandable? I would think the center of balance would be the same whether it was an expandable or a fixed blade. With that reasoning-----wouldn't the 125 be slightly better in the expandable as well? If I have no intention of shooting past 25 yards---could I mix them up in my quiver and see little to no difference? On a side note, I do know the 100's work---I shot a nice 9 pointer 2 nights ago with a Spitfire.P1040623_edited-1 [1600x1200].jpg Wasn't real good on my Spitfire though. P1040650_edited-1 [1600x1200].jpg
    Last edited by fishrman; 11-19-2017 at 02:44 PM.

The higher FOC is better, but many expandables don't demand the higher FOC like a fixed blade does. NO you can't intermix expanables and fixed, there most likely will be a big difference.

In our testing, mechanicals as a whole, shoot closer to field tips than fixed blades do.
    Randy Wood
    Director of Customer Experience
    TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    The higher FOC is better, but many expandables don't demand the higher FOC like a fixed blade does. NO you can't intermix expanables and fixed, there most likely will be a big difference.

In our testing, mechanicals as a whole, shoot closer to field tips than fixed blades do.
    Thanks, Randy!

I was shooting Rages for a few years....switched to Slicktricks...best broadheads out there....they were like shooting darts and I didn't touch the scope....when they were sighted in with Rages.Why I changed? Lost a Booner one year on a quartening away shot and then a coyote...angles are no good with Rages...

Thank you for the tips on here. Will try the higher FOC.