Thread: Vortec Accuracy

Hybrid View

Vortec Accuracy

Hello all,

A new Vortec RDX is my second TP bow - the first was a Wicked Ridge Warrior. It's very light and compact, and a real joy to carry around the woods. Also very quiet - neither of my hunting buddies heard my shot from around 50-100 yards away, whereas a shot from a friend's Excalibur was very loud at the same distance. All in all, great in all but one department - accuracy.

With the Warrior, my groups were fantastic - occasionally Robin-Hooding arrows at 40 yards, but always punching a nice tight group. When Omni Nocks were released, I tried some Gold Tip Laser IIs with Omni Nocks, and they were extremely erratic. Each bolt would fly to a very repeatable POI - the problem is that no two had the same POI. Big problem. I went back to bolts with moon nocks and all was right with the world.

When my Vortec RDX arrived, I zeroed at 20, then adjusted at 40 to confirm zero (with the arrows supplied with the bow, white vane down). At 40 yards, indoor range, from a rest, my bolts hit within a 8-12" diameter area. Most of the deviation is left-right. This is shooting from a rest, with the forearm rested on the supporting arm and the stock bagged. Scope is tight and has a drop of blue Loctite on each screw. Again, each bolt hits a repeatable POI, but no two hit the same POI. I can't help but think the Omnis are causing this, but I can't exactly fire flat or half moons to confirm.

Any thoughts?

Brandon,

I have a couple thoughts. First, make sure you are actually holding the front grip. Reverse draw bows can jump when you shoot them, so holding the grip can reduce that effect. Secondly, are your findings with broadheads or field tips? If broadheads, switch back to field tips and see what happens. Lastly, you may want to shoot your arrows for spine. Mark your arrows 1-6 and shoot arrow 1 at dot 1 on the target, arrow 2 at dot 2, so on and so forth. Do this 3 times with each arrow and you will see which arrows are hitting well and which at not. Take the couple that are not shooting as tight and go to the next vane down and see if that helps. If it does, mark that vane and it becomes the cock vane. If no improvement, rotate to the last vane and see what that does. Most likely those things will tighten your groups down significantly.
    Randy Wood
    Director of Customer Experience
    TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

Quote Originally Posted by Randy View Post
    Brandon,

I have a couple thoughts. First, make sure you are actually holding the front grip. Reverse draw bows can jump when you shoot them, so holding the grip can reduce that effect. Secondly, are your findings with broadheads or field tips? If broadheads, switch back to field tips and see what happens. Lastly, you may want to shoot your arrows for spine. Mark your arrows 1-6 and shoot arrow 1 at dot 1 on the target, arrow 2 at dot 2, so on and so forth. Do this 3 times with each arrow and you will see which arrows are hitting well and which at not. Take the couple that are not shooting as tight and go to the next vane down and see if that helps. If it does, mark that vane and it becomes the cock vane. If no improvement, rotate to the last vane and see what that does. Most likely those things will tighten your groups down significantly.
    Hello Randy,

Thanks for the tips - your second point especially was hugely useful. I numbered the vanes with a sharpie and fired 3 different arrows. Two were touching at 40, and one was a few inches off. Rotating to a different vane brought the flier to contact with the others.

I'm not used to be able to nock the arrows in different orientations, so wasn't sure if this would make a difference.

Cheers!

I think Randy has some good advice. I shoot the Storm and Vortec and use the same spine indexed shafts from both xbows with Omni nocks. Accuracy is very good out to 60 yards.

If you are already not doing this, you might try shooting off a rest to reduce the "pilot" factor.

Good luck!
    2016 Horton Storm, 2017 Horton Vortec - RangeMaster Pro Scope - ACUdraw -
    EVO-X CenterPunch Arrows - Omni-Brite Nocks - Grim Reaper Broadheads