Turbo GT in Africa

I have been shooting compound bows for about 20 years now and my current bow is a Bowtech Prodigy (Chris Kyle version). I thought about buying a crossbow to give my shoulder some time to heal after hurting it a couple of years ago. I never stopped shooting long enough to completely heal. So about 6 weeks ago I saw an add from the new local importers for Tenpoint crossbows in South Africa. I went to Magnum to have a look at them and left with the Turbo GT.

I thought I will keep you up-to-date with the GT's journey in Africa.

I could not believe how accurate this bow is up to 30 yards - this is how far I can shoot at home and I won't hunt further than this in any case. I had a problem to select a broadhead because it shot all of them very well. Viper Tricks, Drones, Rage, Killzone, and even my 150gr Silver Flames were just about half an inch low at 30 yards. I then decided on the Drone because I have a lot of them as well as a couple of replacement blades.

I can't tell much about the first hunt (young Impala ram) because I had such buck fever I can't remember much (isn't that the same with all new things!!). I shot him very low and to the front - not even close to where I wanted to. Luckily I still hit both lungs in front of the heart. He ran about 150 yards before he expired.

The second one was hunted about 3 weeks later. I was more relaxed (not enough to remember to zoom more in with the camera!) and shot him quartering away through the heart. He made the hart shot dash that was about 80 yards before he went down.
    In the slow video you can see the arrow hit the ground and then the tree a couple of yards further on, the Drone is still good for the next hunt, just need to sharpen the blades again.

Normal speed video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djZZ24ID41A

Slow :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJriemr-4y0

My next hunt is booked for next weekend - hoping for a kudu or blue wildebeest!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GT in Africa; 06-09-2017 at 01:34 AM.

I tested the speed with the heavier arrows. From 336fps with 425gr down 307fps with 500gr. I also tested it at 20 yards. It dropped only 6 fps and it was still doing 301fps at the moment of impact. This is more than enough for me.

bocafe
    Wecome on in GT...tell us some south Africa stories...

I managed to get into the veld again with my GT. This time with a Viper Trick on the end of my arrow. I was looking for a kudu but had to settle for salami and cheese grillers. The shot was low on the shoulder, through the hart and he made about 40-50 yards.

Vark2.jpg

Keep posting your adventures - I won't ever get there but I can dream via your posts
    Every day is a blessing - Make the most of it

Hope to get a blue wildebeest this weekend so I hope to add more photos, I will keep them coming.