Been spending some serious time with the new Horton Vortec in anticipation of the Pennsylvania spring turkey opener here at Crossbow Magazine. I hunted with the Horton Storm most of last season so I was very curious to see what Horton did with this platform for 2017. I opted for the Dedd Sled 50 package. Horton always does a great job of packaging their bows up. Most of the crossbow is already assembled so within a few minutes, everything was all buttoned up and ready to go.

As soon as you pick up the Vortec, it is very apparent that they managed to shave some weight off of the Storm. With a scope and a quiver full of arrows, the Vortec is just about a pound lighter than its big brother. As with most reverse draw bows, the balance is great and the narrow width is a thing of beauty once it is brought to the shoulder.

With a total width of 13 inches when the bow is cocked, it will be a dream to hunt out of from the treestand this fall.
Try shooting a conventional limbed bow at a deer behind your treestand as close to the tree as you can with the Vortec. It is not going to happen. One of the nice advantages to reverse draw.

Cocking the 135# Vortec with the Dedd Sled 50 was quite easy. I suspect that most crossbow enthusiasts would have no issues doing it. I tucked the first Horton arrow, made by Easton, under the brush retention system, clicked the safety off and sent the first arrow downrange at 20 yards. There is some uptake to the trigger, but in typical Horton fashion, the break is consistent and on the lighter side. This is one quiet crossbow. I thought the Storm was relatively quiet, but the Vortec is one of the quietest bows I have shot, and I have shot many of them.

The first three arrows, without any adjustments made to the scope, were 1.5 inches left and 1.5 inches high at 20 yards. Not too shabby for out of the box! Horton and TenPoint put great packages together that are ready to hunt right out of the box!