Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Horton Vortec

Horton Vortec

Anyone have any information on the new vortec.

I was able to put my hands on the Vortec over the weekend at the Deer and Turkey Expo in WI. I have been a huge fan of the RDX bows since the Storm was introduced. I currently shoot the Nitro.
    Having shot all three now, in my opinion the Vortec is a smother shooting bow than both the Storm and Nitro. Obviously the draw weight is less and speed is slower but will be a great RDX option that is easy on the wallet.

Thanks that's good.

Crossbow Magazine's Field Gear Editor just submitted this review on the Horton website.

Vortec RDX - Refined, compact, balanced

I am fortunate to be able to handle and shoot many crossbows every year. I recently acquired the Horton Vortec and just finished up sighting it in for our upcoming spring turkey season. The Vortec is almost completely assembled when you open the box, so it takes no time to get the factory package all set up and ready to shoot. I chose to go with the Dedd Sled 50.

As soon as you bring the Vortec to the shoulder, it is immediately apparent that this is one light reverse draw bow. Horton did their homework and was able to shed some weight, while maintaining a great balanced, compact, and fast crossbow. Cocking was a breeze with the Dedd Sled 50. I suspect most people would be able to cock this bow quite easily. The first shot hit just 1.5 inches high and 1.5 inches left at 20 yards and the next two arrows ended up right next to the first. That was right out of the box. I found the scope to be perfectly calibrated to the factory arrows as well.

From the assembly, to sighting in, Horton does most of the work for you before you even buy the crossbow. The Vortec is fast, compact, light, and deadly accurate. Not only does its performance exceed expectations, it is one great looking crossbow. I wholeheartedly recommend the Horton Vortec to anyone looking for their first crossbow, or their tenth crossbow. Horton got it right with the Vortec RDX.

vortec.jpg
    www.crossbowmagazine.com
    www.facebook.com/crossbowmagazine

I just completed a thorough review of the Vortec RDX and will post it in a new thread soon.
    Field Gear Editor of Crossbow Magazine

Todd, have you tried the new Phantom RCX yet? I sure like this set up. I sure would like this one, as soon as I get back to work after fighting this cancer I am going to try and get one. Please let me know what you think. Some one removed my new Ten-Point bow last fall out of my blind when I left for about 15 min. Thanks again for your time.
    Last edited by groundblind; 04-25-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by groundblind View Post
    Todd, have you tried the new Phantom RCX yet? I sure like this set up. I sure would like this one, as soon as I get back to work after fighting this cancer I am going to try and get one. Please let me know what you think.
    I believe we will be reviewing the Phantom this summer.

Some one removed my new Ten-Point bow last fall out of my blind when I left for about 15 min. Thanks again for your time.
    Sorry to hear this. Some real losers out there in this world these days!
    Field Gear Editor of Crossbow Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by groundblind View Post
    Todd, have you tried the new Phantom RCX yet? I sure like this set up. I sure would like this one, as soon as I get back to work after fighting this cancer I am going to try and get one. Please let me know what you think. Some one removed my new Ten-Point bow last fall out of my blind when I left for about 15 min. Thanks again for your time.
    Hoping to get my hands on one soon, groundblind. Haven't seen much information about them yet but it sure looks like a sweet bow. Something about them carbon rails. That's a kick in the shorts about your other bow. Sorry to hear it.
    www.crossbowmagazine.com
    www.facebook.com/crossbowmagazine

Vortec Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by ldock View Post
    Anyone have any information on the new vortec.
    I've had a Vortec for a couple months and put a comparison together for the CBN Horton Forum.

Vortec Pkg.jpg

The packaging from Horton/TenPoint is fantastic. I've seen quite a few packaged xbows and the care that goes into the Horton/TenPoint packaging is top shelf. The bow comes mostly assembled so putting the scope, ACUdraw and quiver mount took about an hour and that's just because I work deliberately or as my bride would say, "He's slow but good."

The xbow is beautifully made and my initial impression was very positive. I've shot the Vortec a couple dozen times now so I'm getting the feel for it and because they quite are similar, I'll use the Storm in comparison. Here's the raw data on the new Vortec and my two year old Storm.

Storm and Vortec 2.jpg

Storm = "S"
    Vortec = "V"

What's the same:

Built by Horton/TenPoint
    Reverse draw technology
    Auto safety and anti dry fire features
    Brush arrow retainers
    Foot sturrup
    Optional RangeMaster Pro scope
    Optional ACUdraw
    Cam sets have timing marks. S - Top side of cam, V - Bottom of cam
    Quiver and mount
    Mossy Oak camo finish
    Limited lifetime warranty

What's different:

Rated Speed, S - 370 fps, V - 340 fps (- 8.2%)
    Actual speed with 393 gn factory arrow. S - 359 fps. V - 339 fps.
    Actual speed with 428 gn BEE, S - 347 fps., V - 329 fps.
    Rated foot pounds of kinetic energy, S - 122, V - 103 (- 15.6%)
    S has an adjustable cheek comb and stock length, although adjustment is minor at 1-2". V is fixed.
    S has a machined aluminum flight rail, V is composite

Technical Details:

Hunting weight with quiver, factory arrows are 393 gn (average) with 100 gn tip (not 400 gn), RMP scope with covers, Limbsavers and ultimate sling. S - 11.4 lbs., V - 10.8 lbs (.6 lbs lighter)
    Bow and scope only, S - 10.6, V - 10.0 (.6 lbs lighter)
    Length with foot stirrup, S - 35.5", V - 34.75"
    Width uncocked (axle to axle). S - 15.75", V - 14.875"
    Width cocked, S - 10.25", V - 9.125"
    Cam Diameter, S - 5.125" V - 4.4375
    Draw weight, S - 165 lb., V - 135 lb.
    Power stroke, S - 16.5", V - 15.5"
    Trigger creep length, S - .1875 or 3/16", V - .1875 or 3/16"
    Trigger break pressure, S 3.25 - lb., V - 2.75 lb.
    Arrow overhang, S 2.125", V - 2.625"

Vortec Finish:

There is one unfinished elongated hole in the grip area of the Vortec that has a pretty sharp edge. It's a screw access hole but it needs a rubber plug. The silver plated screws in the Vortec forearm need to be black.

Impression:

I hunt primarily in climber tree stands so space is premium. The slightly smaller form factor feels good so that's a positive for me. Both bows shoulder extremely well and the Vortec feels great. I've shot it from bench, standing, 3 point sitting on the ground, chair sitting and prone. No issues for me.

The adjustable cheek pad and stock butt pad of the Storm isn't a huge factor for me. The Vortec LOP is fine and the lifted cheek rest built into the Vortec stock fits me well, beard and all.

I've read some critiquing comments on Horton/TenPoint triggers. My Storm trigger feels fine and the Vortec trigger feels even better. I suspect that's due to lower string pressure because of the lighter draw weight. The creep is short and break weight is about 3 lbs. and I'm very happy with that. When I'm thinking about my crossbow trigger, which is only when I'm practicing, I notice a very small amount of creep. In hunting situations with my Storm (two deer and 4 hogs this past year) it's never entered my mind nor been an issue.

The speed and KE of the Vortec is very capable of harvesting just about any big game. I'd personally like to see the Vortec 350+ fps with a 400 gn arrow but I'm a bit of a speed fan.

Conclusion:

I think TenPoint was smart bringing another RDX design into the Horton line. The Vortec's quality, solid performance and very attractive price point, should make it a very popular xbow.

If I had to choose between these two Horton xbows today, I'd still buy the Storm given it's speed and KE. If I had to choose or suggest another RDX bow in the sub $1,000 market, it would be the Vortec.

Side Note:

My Storm is approaching it's second birthday. It has about 1500 shots through it and been handled in hundreds of hunting activities. The axle to axle measurement (cocked and uncocked) and speed recorded here were notably off specs. I boxed it up and sent it back to TenPoint where it was inspected and tested. They IDed the problem was with the cable set, which they quickly resolved and ATA measurements are now spot on and speed with the factory arrow is back to normal. Thanks TenPoint!

Hope this was helpful!
    Last edited by TX_RDXguy; 05-07-2017 at 01:42 AM.
    2016 Horton Storm, 2017 Horton Vortec - RangeMaster Pro Scope - ACUdraw -
    EVO-X CenterPunch Arrows - Omni-Brite Nocks - Grim Reaper Broadheads

Great input TX.
    Randy Wood
    Director of Customer Experience
    TenPoint Crossbow Technologies