Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by LongBeardShultz View Post
    Attachment 201Attachment 202Attachment 203Attachment 204Attachment 205
    I think about whitetail deer 365 days out of the year, but this year I am thinking about it even more so because my son can begin hunting with me. I have been waiting for this since the day he was born. I have been putting a little more effort into my trail cams and food plots, not that I haven't in the past, but want the best circumstances for my kid!! haven't captured any shooters on my cameras yet, but discovering an abundance of younger bucks this year. I am not sure what I should let him harvest for his first experience, but that decision will be made afield.
    Nothing better than hunting with your kids!! I have 3 boys, being with them when they have a successful hunt is probably more exciting then getting something myself. My opinion: Don't focus on a trophy animal for your kids first. They don't care if it's a 180 inch 12 point or a button buck. Most of the time a successful hunt is what they want. Good luck this fall!! You have lots of exciting times ahead!!

Quote Originally Posted by firehunter View Post
    Nothing better than hunting with your kids!! I have 3 boys, being with them when they have a successful hunt is probably more exciting then getting something myself. My opinion: Don't focus on a trophy animal for your kids first. They don't care if it's a 180 inch 12 point or a button buck. Most of the time a successful hunt is what they want. Good luck this fall!! You have lots of exciting times ahead!!
    Agree with Firehunter. Same concept as taking kids fishing. If you only target trout or bass they probably are not going to be happy fishermen. Kids want action - let them catch some bream or on a hunt kill the first deer that presents a good opportunity and they will remember it. Pass up too many because they don't meet your criteria and they will not be happy hunters. After the 1st or 2nd deer you can start having the "lets let him grow a bit more" conversation.
    Every day is a blessing - Make the most of it

Great advice, especially from veteran parents and veteran hunters!! Your advice goes much appreciated! Four years ago I filled my doe permit with a TenPoint Titan HLX crossbow and I remember my son, then seven years old, was very fascinated with the whole deer hunting thing. I videotaped the hunt and happened to include my son in the video. It was at that moment he demonstrated an enthrallment to take up the sport. The following link will take you to that hunt! https://youtu.be/b41_082Enqo
    I hope to share with you folks the results of the 2016/2017 deer season on this forum starring my son!!
    Thanks again for your kind words
    Your hunt starts with a Tenpoint. The rest are just details.

Just watched your video LongBeard. Very nice - good job on it. Love to see that mule kick right after taking a shot. Amazing that they can run so fast and far while dead on their feet.

If you haven't already done so - get yourself some lighted nocks for hunting. Makes finding your arrow so much easier and if the deer does not drop within in sight a blood drenched arrow is the place to start the blood trail.

Narration on ground.jpg
    Thanks alk! I did decide to investigate lighted nocks for both my crossbow and compound bow just a couple of years ago. I now consider lighted nocks standard equipment for every hunt. I was using “tracers”, but they discontinued that product so now I am using “nocturnals”. So much more to hunting then a couple of decades ago!!! The following link is another video of me harvesting an 8 point using tracer nocks. Thanks again!!
    https://youtu.be/8QQmGctmXNk

Pulled the card from my camera on edge of lawn at my VA cabin. Things are looking good.

Promise of hunts in the future

Just pulled the card from my Moultrie. I have 8 different bucks on camera 3 of which I would consider shooters. However, this buck has been hanging around my food plot for over a month. Should he be removed from the genetic pool? Not sure what to do with him. I really do not want to exhaust my tag on him. I came across the following reading in a deer management document.
    ”There are 3 equally important factors that control antler development in white-tailed deer: nutrition, genetics, and age. Antler development is genetically based, environmentally influenced, and reaches its peak at maturity. The key to quality deer management is to remove those bucks which have the least desirable antler characteristics at an early age. Studies show that yearling antlers predict a buck's antler quality at maturity. Studies also indicate bucks with the best antlers will produce more progeny with exceptional antlers than will poorer bucks. The does influence antler production as well. Harvest of older does is important to insure younger does are products of better bucks. Habitat should be managed so that deer can achieve their greatest antler potential.” Perhaps I will just let him be and let mother nature determine his outcome!

I put out a camera on my lease on July 5. I changed out the SD card on Aug. 7. Surprise!! Surprise!! Surprise!!

EK000013.jpgEK000062.jpgEK000157.jpg

Fire,
    Good luck on one of those boys!
    Randy Wood
    Director of Customer Experience
    TenPoint Crossbow Technologies

Things are looking good at this location close to home in NC

Last edited by alk; 08-29-2016 at 07:00 AM.